These days, we hear a lot about the things we “shouldn’t” eat – in the media, from our friends, our social networks, our doctors, etc. While there is often truth in these admonitions (e.g. eat less added sugars or saturated fats), it can get downright disheartening to hear “no” all the time. I have learned this from my 3 young children, and I see this on a daily basis in us “grown ups” as well – “no” feels limiting. It can feel threatening. It can produce anger or frustration. And sometimes even tantrums (yes, even in us grown-ups). So, today, let’s think about stuff you CAN eat MORE of! Foods that you can say YES YES YES too. Forget about all the “no’s” and moderation for just a minute. Instead, put your brain in “Hell yeah” mode. Here’s what I mean:
- Eat a HUGE pile of veggies at lunch and dinner today (and for fun, throw in a handful of fruit and spinach into your morning smoothie).
- Drink a TON of water and other no-cal drinks (seltzer, tea, flavored waters)
- Say YES to fresh, in-season fruit. Check out your local market and see what’s there. You’d be amazed at how many strawberries or kiwis you can eat for fewer calories than a slice of bread.
- Have that ONE piece of dark chocolate (and by one piece, I mean 1 ounce or less, not the entire 1-pound bar). It’s loaded with antioxidants and other good things that can help your body. And, it makes you feel good.
- Serve yourself up MORE popcorn (un-buttered or lightly seasoned). It has tons of fiber, and recent studies have shown it provides as much or more polyphenols (antioxidants that can protect your body from inflammation and disease) than even some fruits and veggies.
So, have a YES and MORE day today. Then, we can go back and think about the “no” and “less” stuff tomorrow. Or the next day….
Eat well. Be happy.